Deli Clerk Job Description
Provide exceptional customer service while maintaining a safe and hazard-free work environment. Assist customers by processing purchases while providing prompt, friendly, helpful customer service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities of a Deli Clerk:
- Meet or exceed customer service goals. Handles customer relations in a positive manner, including effective resolution of customer complaints
- Maintains an atmosphere of enthusiastic customer awareness by providing fast, friendly customer service. Engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques
- Communicates to Deli Department Manager to order product to ensure adequate supply to meet customer demand and to maintain product quality and freshness
- Performs receiving duties including: moving products from the receiving area, organizing cooler and storage areas, refrigerating products immediately, maintaining proper storage temperatures, verifying orders against invoices, reporting shortages and claims to ensure proper billing, dating and rotating products to ensure freshness and compliance with code dating policies
- Implements proper and efficient product preparation and packaging techniques
- Uses and operates related equipment such as kitchen utensils, knives, fryers, conventional and microwave ovens, slicers, grills, food processors, wrappers and scales
- Prepares sandwiches, hot and cold foods and food/party trays according to company standards. Wears proper safety and sanitary supplies (i.e. insulated gloves, latex gloves, hair nets, etc.)
- Maintains deli case cleanliness, visual appeal and inventory levels. Responsible for ensuring the proper cleanliness, holding temperature, sanitation and appearance of deli area and equipment and for ensuring a safe work environment
- Responsible for meeting all sanitation and food and product handling safety requirements
- Responsible for performing all job duties safely, accurately and with honesty and integrity.
- Other necessary and required duties as requested by Management
Required Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Ability to be friendly, courteous, tactful and maintain composure in dealing with customers and co-workers
- Must possess good oral communication skills and the ability to read and follow recipes
- Ability to push and pull fully loaded hand trucks, six-wheel carts and pallet jacks
- Frequently reaches, lifts, stacks and maneuvers objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 55 lbs. Frequently engages in repetitive arm movements necessary for slicing, cutting and preparing various deli products
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, will walk and move rapidly, bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently. Manual dexterity and good eye-hand coordination are necessary. Must be able to operate kitchen utensils and equipment
- Mental alertness is necessary to ensure safe and accurate completion of work activities.
- Requires knowledge of basic mathematics and weights and measures
- Must be able to learn taste, content and perishability of products, safety and sanitation procedures and department policies and procedures
- Maybe required to work nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays. Scheduled hours will vary. Good attendance is required
- Complies with all Company policies including attendance, grooming standards and dress codes
- Exposure to potential hazards exists with respect to cooking procedures, equipment and work aids necessary to perform job duties
- Exposure up to 450˚ Fahrenheit while cooking and maintaining products. Exposure up to approximately 140˚ Fahrenheit while handling products in hot cases, 35˚ Fahrenheit while handling products in cold cases, 28˚ Fahrenheit while handling products in cooler and -20˚ Fahrenheit while handling products in freezer
- Working conditions consist of a temperature controlled store environment. Kitchen prep may be warmer than other store areas.
- Exposure to potential hazards exists with respect to cooking procedures, equipment and work aids necessary to perform job duties.
Education and Experience
- High School graduate is preferred
- Ability to cook is preferred
- Excellent verbal communication skills and legible writing
This job description is intended to provide the general requirements of the work performed in this job position. This is not a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and requirements. Fricks Market reserves the right to revise this job description, and to assign other duties as they are deemed necessary to warrant the operational needs of the company.